Sunday, September 17, 2006

That Object Over There is Invisible

So I wrote a little bit previously about how casual movement doesn't attract attention. We really got a good glimpse of this today while doing some movement work with a four foot staff. The drill was to give one person the stick to swing (slowly) at everyone else. There were only three of us training that day, so the drill stayed pretty clean. One moment I remember distinctly was approaching Gene from behind while he was swinging the staff. We were going very slow, so reflexes weren't an issue (I.e. I'm saying that my bad reflexes have nothing to do this). As I was approaching him to hit him, I saw the staff move over his head and towards me from above. I thought nothing of it--Gene appeared not to be paying any attention to me, which made me presume that any of his movement wouldn't be directed at me. All of a sudden: *thunk*. Wait, how did that stick hit me? I was watching it the whole time. But without picking up on Gene's intent, the movement had no harmful context, "Oh, look, it's just a stick moving towards me, big deal". This could very well be because I'm not too bright at knowing when to get the heck out of the way though. I'm always amused by my malfunctions during training. Running headlong into kicks, ducking a shot to the chest to take it in the neck, trying to redirect a chain using my neck, etc. Maybe I should write about the "invisible effect" when I get over the neural misfires.

No comments: